Comments for Weekend Bakery The place for the ambitious home baker Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:11:09 +0000 hourly 1 Comment on Recipe for 80% hydration baguette by Ian C. Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:11:09 +0000 We spend a lot of time in France and love the slightly chewy texture of the bread and the wonderful crust. I’ve tried a lot of recipes and this is the closest yet. A fabulous recipe, a bit of work, but excellent instructions and very well worth the effort. The steam really makes a difference. Thank you.

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by stephen Hewitt Mon, 05 Oct 2015 19:17:16 +0000 One of the nicest croissants around beautiful …so easy to make …The only thing you can make the in a couple of hours instead of 3 days but really beautiful ////))))☆☆☆☆☆

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Julie Mon, 05 Oct 2015 06:14:25 +0000 Wow this website has got me hooked.
I’m working my way through your recipes and just made the croissants. I am so happy how they turned out. It took me 5 days because I ended up resting dough in fridge for 2 days! Also a heat wave caught me here in Melbourne (Aust) so I strung things along for a cooler time of day. Still, they rose well at proofing time. I made Pain au Chocolate with my dough odd and ends of which I had many due to my very wonky rectangle and I may have accidently left some aside for this purpose too :) ; but once I got cutting triangles the croissants looked great. I would not have attempted this recipe except for your very detailed instructions. I am truly thankful to you for making such a great website and sharing your hours of hard work and baking experiments and no doubt many batches of dough, to give us; in the end a very tried and tested and clear format to work from. If I can do it anyone can. Best regards.

Comment on Why Home Baking by Weekend Bakers Sat, 03 Oct 2015 17:26:06 +0000 Hi Kate,

We use a stone oven made in Belgium by Rofco ( It’s an oven used by (semi) professional bakers and very passionate home bakers. They also have distribution in America I believe. You can find out via their website.

For ciabatta it depends on the recipe you use and the times given.

Happy baking!

Comment on Recipe for 80% hydration baguette by Weekend Bakers Sat, 03 Oct 2015 17:22:14 +0000 Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for the excellent feedback. It’s a bit of work, but so worth it every time.

Happy baking!

Ed & Marieke

Comment on Our version of Tartine style bread by Laura Fri, 02 Oct 2015 18:09:20 +0000 Hoi Ed en Marieke,
Bedankt voor het verhelderende recept.
Ik heb het stap voor stap gevolgd en tot op heden verliep alles volgens plan, maar helaas toen ik het brood uit het rijsmandje wilde halen was dit bijna onmogelijk. Het deeg zat vastgeplakt aan het mandje en ik kreeg het er moeilijk uit. Ik heb genoeg bloem gebruikt aan beide kanten en vraag me af of jullie een opmerking/oplossing voor mijn probleem hebben. (als het nodig is heb ik filmpjes om het te verduidelijken)
Alvast bedankt,

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Andres Thu, 01 Oct 2015 19:03:53 +0000 Hello weekendbakery people!! I follow you in every post you have but actually I am doing kind of research abut the following.
There is this website, “”, that assures they have flattened croissants and I want to do the same at home so I can freeze them and bake my own croissants whenever i feel so. How do you think the manage to have this frozen flattened croissant and when you bake it it has a perfect puff paste inside??? I tried to do the same somehow but all inside gets to1gether in one single dough…. I am so disappointed :(
What do you think?? Do you get the idea??
Help me please!! It will be my weekend happiness
Continue with your great site

Comment on Recipe for 80% hydration baguette by H. Johansson Thu, 01 Oct 2015 13:20:09 +0000 Hello,

I tried your easy baguette recipe and it was ok, so I decided to challenge myself with 80% hydration recipe. I did everything according to the recipe but the dough never became plump even after the 4th stretch-and-fold. It was beyond sticky…it was blotchy and almost liquidy. There was no way I could shape it so I put it in a ceramic casserole and bake it. It came out a bread alright but the crust was grayish white (maybe because too much water or I fussed with it too much?) and the interior was too dense than I wanted it to be.

Do you have any idea why my dough became too wet? I know this is very difficult thing to answer without actually seeing how I did it, but is there a common mistake that one can make in this recipe? It tasted better than the “easy baguette recipe” so I would like to do it again…

H. Johansson

Comment on Pizza Dough with a Poolish by Pizza Dough Poolish | General Information Thu, 01 Oct 2015 06:44:57 +0000 […] Pizza Dough with a Poolish | Weekend Bakery – Good pizza effort, celebrated with Champagne! Scoop the prepared poolish in the mixing bowl of your standing mixer. Add the flour, salt, and instant yeast. […]

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Meena Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:21:43 +0000 Hi, I’m a novice baker and just starting to bake croissants. The first time I made them, the croissant had more of a bread or doughy texture that flaky croissant texture. Why exactly does this happen? What did I do wrong? Is it ingredients or technique? The second time I made the croissants, the dough was very resistant when I rolled it out. Why does this happen? Again, ingredients or technique? I see in your advice to put the dough back int he fridge for 20 minutes. Does this fix the problem completely? Or is there something I did wrong in the first place? Thank you.

Comment on Tips & tricks for bread oven & other stone oven users by cynthia Wed, 30 Sep 2015 12:30:05 +0000 Hi Sam, can you please give us an update on your experience? Who was the distributor? I’m also researching before taking the plunge for the B40. Would appreciate any info/tips I can get. Thanks!

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Rob Tue, 29 Sep 2015 14:59:50 +0000 Yes!

I have another question: when making a 50% whole grain, 50% white bread with a poolish, would it be better to use the whole grain, the white or 50% of both for the poolish? Or wouldn’t it matter all that much?

Of course I’ll experiment a bit, but it looks like you already experimented a lot :) so I’d be happy to get your views on the matter.

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Weekend Bakers Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:43:40 +0000 Hi Rob,

You are very right, just tested a supermarket ‘artisan’ style loaf today and although the ingredients are better (less) and they claim to give the dough more time etc, the crumb was more like cake to us. Time and prefermentation make a loaf so much more interesting! So lucky we can afford to use both to our advantage.

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Weekend Bakers Mon, 28 Sep 2015 19:39:25 +0000 Thank you so much Abdi! Hope they turn out great too!

Comment on Making your own diastatic malt by Ellen van Schaik Mon, 28 Sep 2015 17:14:15 +0000 Dag Ed&Marieke,

Dank je wel voor de uitgebreide info.
Ik bak een paar broden per week, dus een dergelijk instapmodel zal voor ons voldoen.
Het lijkt me dat je van versgemalen meel/bloem een smakelijker brood/broodjes kunt bakken, omdat je alleen maalt wat je op dat moment nodig hebt. Vergelijkbaar met het malen van koffiebonen denk ik? Als je gemalen koffie een tijdje bewaart, dan wordt de smaak ook minder intens. Hoe beleven jullie de smaak van het eigen gebakken brood van zelfgemalen meel/bloem en kun je het direct verwerken in brooddeeg?

Alvast bedankt voor het meedenken.

Groeten van Ellen

Comment on Why Home Baking by Kate Mon, 28 Sep 2015 15:52:49 +0000 Hello,

I am very passionate about making bread. Many recipes and demo are good but without good oven, it will never become as good. I saw that you baguette used a oven with stone as a shelf and has steam function. It looks small which works best for home use. Can you recommend brand and model for home making? I live in NW USA. Have been trying to google one for years. I am using ice cube spary bottle and pizza stone at the moment. Also, for proofing, what temp and humidity it should be for ciabatta?

It will make my dream comes thru.

Comment on Recipe for 80% hydration baguette by julie Mon, 28 Sep 2015 09:40:33 +0000 Made this to the recipe except I forgot to put poolish in refrigerator. However the room the temperature was cool. My shaping technique needs a lot of work, but wow the taste. Perfect! Everyone loved them. Real baguettes. Crunchy, chewy and full of flavour. Was a bit of work for me since I’ve not done a lot of bread baking but was fun and a lot quicker than a trip Paris. Your meticulous lessons got me through. Many thanks.

Comment on Making your own diastatic malt by Weekend Bakers Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:51:10 +0000 Hallo Ellen,

Jazeker! het is een Komo type Fidibus die we tweedehands hebben gekocht van een heel aardige hobby bakker. Het is een beetje het instapmodel, vergelijkbaar met wat nu de Fidibus 21 is. Het molentje werkt echt heel simpel. De juiste stand instellen, korrels erin en malen maar. Wij gebruiken het molentje met name voor roggekorrels en ook voor tarwe die we ook uit de buurt krijgen. Onze ervaringen zijn goed, maar we gebruiken hem niet heel intensief. Een voordeel is dat de hele korrel beter houdbaar is dan gemalen volkorenmeel (dit kan door de vetten sneller ranzig worden). He is wel een beetje luidruchtig als je maalt, dat geeft bij ons niet, maar wel iets om even te weten. Dit type maalt ongeveer 100 g korrels per minuut. Er zijn natuurlijk ook grotere te koop. Het ligt dus aan je eigen ideeën en behoeftes welk molentje bij je zou passen.
Wij vinden het vooral een leuke aanvulling, ook voor de ervaring, maar kopen nog steeds grotere hoeveelheden meel bij de molen omdat dat met dit machientje niet te doen is. Wil je bloem dan is dat nog een wat grotere uitdaging natuurlijk, want dan moet je na het malen gaan zeven. Dat doen we ook wel eens en werkt prima, maar je moet alleen niet verwachten dat je zelf op deze manier heel fijne witte bloem kunt produceren.

Hopelijk heb je iets aan deze informatie.

Marieke & Ed

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Rob Sun, 27 Sep 2015 15:56:12 +0000 Thanks for the explanation. My home made bread missed ‘chewyness’ (just as 95% of all bakery bought bread, nice though it may be, could do with a bit more chewyness in my opinion) but making a dough of 50% poolish definitely does it for me… even straight up white!

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Weekend Bakers Sun, 27 Sep 2015 11:38:35 +0000 Hi Eric,
Yes, it is possible, but we cannot give you pointers based on our own experience. Just make sure that the dough is well risen when you bring it to the oven.