Comments for Weekend Bakery The place for the ambitious home baker Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:57:15 +0000 hourly 1 Comment on Sourdough pain naturel by todd rensma Fri, 21 Oct 2016 22:57:15 +0000 is this 100% or 166% sourdough starter

Comment on Tips on handling high hydration dough by Daphne Payne Thu, 20 Oct 2016 20:25:58 +0000 Hi,
I’m very perplex at the moment.
My bread recipe I have been using for the past 3 years has suddenly gone askew…..
It’s a 2 loaf recipe using 700g Canadian Strong Flour (Shipton Mill) + 600ml water + 9g of EasyBake yeast mixed and left in fridge overnight, the next day (late morning) I add 166ml of water/milk + 50g Butter, 2 tble sugar and 3 tsp salt knead for 30 mins (I use an adaption of RB’s slap and fold) proof in oiled bowl until doubled, fold and shape and put in tins.
BUT lately when kneading I can’t get a nice smooth elastic dough it seems to stay ‘very soft wet and sticky’ until I think I can’t get it any better so dump it in the bowl to proof. It does double @ room temp but seems to take much longer than it used to and stays softish. I tip out and rectangle it, fold top to halfway -bottom up to meet then top to bottom, fold left to right middle and right to middle and then like a book fold. Leave it for 15mins before shaping for the tins.
I used to score the top but if I do that now it deflates so am leaving it and just flouring the top before baking @ 240c for 15 mins reduce heat to 220c for a further 15-20 mins. Core temp 93-4c
The bread tastes lovely but I don’t understand why I’m having the knead problem?

Any thoughts of why it’s happening or what to do to rectify this.

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Escafon Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:05:13 +0000 Thanks! I think It would be a very good christmas present to get that book in my possesion!
Indeed I really like (trying to) understand these kind of processes, biology chemistry etc.
But you have allready anwsered my questions very well, Now i understand allso a bit more about the Ciabatta, in which 5/6 part of the flour is a rather dry biga, which is blown up next day by adding water flour and malt to speed up the yeast by cutting the starch into more “yeastable” sugars. This enourmous amount of biga makes the dough stronger. This allso explains that I get very reasonable results with German supermarket “patent bloem” Lots of biga adds strength to a flour with 11% of protein, which is on the lower side as I understand from your articles.

Anyway, I will get that book!! I really like experimenting with flour water and microorganisms, and a good book will certainly give more direction to my experiments.

Happy baking greatings,

Comment on Handy sourdough tips by Zoe Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:57:36 +0000 Hello! Thank you for all of your information. I started my first starter years ago based on your recipe and though I’ve had to make new starters at times, it has allowed me to make my sourdough rye bread every other week for years. I do neglect my starter and sometimes forget to feed it for over a week and recently it went moldy when I did my first preferment. Then I tried another one and that went moldy too. So I threw out the starter. That one had lasted the longest, maybe 9 months.
Now with 2 new batches I’m getting mold on day 4 of trying to grow a new starter.
I’ve had this problem before and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Organic rye flour, filtered water, room temp is around high 60’s to 70F. Trying to use clean spoons, jar. Any thoughts?

Comment on About Us by Farheen Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:28:27 +0000 Hi,

Hope all is well.

Just wanted to follow up with you regarding my last email about a possible advertising partnership.

Please let me know if you’d be interested in taking this forward.

Awaiting your response.

Farheen Hamdulay
Business Development Specialist
+1 646 895 6969 extn – 6097
Skype: farheen.vertoz
Vertoz Inc.

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Sadia Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:03:22 +0000 Also, i wanted to request if the above ingredients could be updated with non-metric measurements (in addition to the metric one). You’ve shared those in earlier comments but i discovered them after preparing the dough (which i mismeasured initially using wrong conversions).

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Weekend Bakers Thu, 20 Oct 2016 10:18:38 +0000 Thank YOU Trinah, for making us happy with your comment.

Greetings from Holland and enjoy the baking!

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Sadia Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:59:10 +0000 Thank you for sharing your recipe, video & the numerous tips. My croissants came out ok (im a first timer). Since the weather is warm in Pakistan (32°C as October ends) i had very difficult time laminating the dough. Butter oozed out every time i rolled & folded it; the dough kept sticking to the rolling surface so i had to freeze/refrigerate after every 1-2min; the dough tore at several places. I almost gave up! But im glad i didnt.
I’ll retry with renewed confidence (baking some variant of croissant is better than running away in the middle of the process).
But there are changes i’ll make next time. I’ll use less yeast because my dough overfermented (perhaps due to the environment/high temperatures). This also gave the croissants a slightly sour taste. I’ll add 1-1/2 tsp salt instead of 2-1/2 as i use salted butter. And i’ll lower the baking temp as my croissants came out too crispy (almost like a puff pastry).

Comment on Salt in bread baking: how much and why by Peter Wells Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:18:48 +0000 At the moment I am making sough dough bread using spouted whole wheat flour, and typically the recipe says for a 2lb loaf 3 cups of flour and 2 cups of sour dough, with among other things 1.5 teaspoons of salt. I have been using coconut salt and wondered if I would be better using himalayan Pink Mountain salt.
Thank you for your useful information.

Peter Wells.

Comment on Understanding flour types by natalie Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:18:25 +0000 Hi, dank voor alle info. Ik woon in Azie, en kan hier slechts wat Amerikaanse of Australische Flour kopen. Maar hoe onderscheid ik nu ‘ Bloem’ en Meel’ in een supermarkt. Alles heet hier ‘ Flour’.
Is ‘Wholewheat Flour’, de gezondste optie ? ( en is dit dan bloem of meel ? )

Comment on Ficelle with sourdough by Anita Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:49:15 +0000 i am excited to find this recipe and going to try it after i find the semola/durum wheat flour. I don’t like sourdough so very happy to see the tip. Just wondering if anyone has added shredded cheese and mixed it in? i know, you’re probably doing the eek what are you thinking! But just asking the question. I see there is also the french baguette listed so will check that recipe too. I love making fresh bread and don’t make it as often as i like. But have not tried making baquettes yet and now that winter is here i will spend more time at home so great time to try. Thanks so much.

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 07:00:11 +0000 Thank you very much Tania!

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:59:33 +0000 Hi Mattijs,
You are really interested in the why and how of bread baking, so we can really recommend investing in a good bread book / ‘bible’ like ‘Bread’ by Jeffrey Hamelman. It explaines things in detail, much better than we ever could.

Extra yeast is added just to speed up the process in general.
Also very general speaking a biga is used to enhance the strength of the dough and a poolish to enhance taste. Working with weaker (Italian) flour would be a reason to use a biga. Next to these two you also have the option of other preferments of course. Which one you choose is a question of your personal taste, flour, other ingredients used and objectives for the recipe. There are many ways to a good loaf.

Comment on Handige tips voor zuurdesem bakkers by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:45:13 +0000 Bedankt, heel interessant en enorm behulpzaam voor de mensen die het hard nodig hebben. Wij gaan ook eens aan de slag met een haver-desem!

Comment on Video: Baguette 80% hydration by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:39:47 +0000 Thank you for your comment Escafon. Hope you will give the baguettes a few tries. Congrats on the new kitchen. Hope you will find a good solution for the bread dough making. We like our flat steel surface too, but some people also like a wooden work top or maybe a piece of granite would work for you. Another thing you can try with very wet dough is keeping it in a food safe container and do the stretching and folding in there. Check out our Tartine recipe for this:…yle-bread/

Comment on Classic French croissant recipe by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:31:35 +0000 Hi Cody,
Like we use our stone oven, you could also use your conventional oven part of the proofing process, by slightly warming it to 25C, then turning it off and putting the croissants in. Make sure it will not get warmer than 25 to 26C to avoid butter leakage!

Good luck with it.

Comment on Brioche: The no knead version by Weekend Bakers Wed, 19 Oct 2016 06:26:40 +0000 Hi Chris,
Thank you for your feedback. Both the fridge and the activity of your yeast play a role in the proofing process. If things take too long you can adjust by more proofing at room temperature and /or using more yeast. And yes, the liquid of the eggs, it is also a good idea to weigh the eggs, because the liquid should be limited to around 110 grams.

Wonderful to be able to use your own honey! This makes the brioche extra special. Hope you will give it another try, maybe with a few tweaks and adaptations, based on your first experience.

Happy brioche baking and bee keeping!

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Weekend Bakers Tue, 18 Oct 2016 20:17:50 +0000 Hi MIA,
Thank you. It depends on what your purpose is and how fast you want it to develop, but usually it is at room temperature or you slow the process down in the fridge.
You should aim for a bubbly and active poolish that has risen and not yet shrunk back, which you would see by checking the edges of your bowl.
Traditionally poolish usually has 100% hydration while a sponge is a bit stiffer (70 to 80%) but I think people also use the word sponge to just mean ‘preferment’.

Comment on How to make French financiers by Weekend Bakers Tue, 18 Oct 2016 18:04:57 +0000 Hi Hazel,
It is sometimes hard to know if we mean the exact same thing, but in this case we can assure you you can use the ground almonds for this recipe. We have been told that ground almonds are better quality than the stuff that is sold over here as almond flour or ‘meal’, because the first still contains the valuable almond oils that are supposed to be taken out of the almond flour.

Thank you for mentioning the miche, wonderful family bread 🙂

Enjoy the baking!

Comment on Artisan bread baking tips: Poolish & biga by Weekend Bakers Tue, 18 Oct 2016 17:50:39 +0000 Hi Vincent,
You did not do anything wrong, but it is not necessary to knead a sponge, because time will do the work for you and develop the dough!